Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Installing Adobe AIR & Tweetdeck in Ubuntu (32-bit & 64-bit)

I love Tweetdeck! I use Tweetdeck to manage my Twitter account in both my Windows and Ubuntu systems. Tweetdeck and its competitor, Seesmic Desktop are Adobe AIR applications. This means that once you install Adobe AIR on your Ubuntu desktop, you can install any Adobe AIR application. In this posting, I'll explain how I installed Adobe AIR and TweetDeck on my 32-bit installation of Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) on my ThinkPad R52 system (see Part 1 below) and my 64-bit installation of Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) on my Dell desktop (see Part 2 below).


Part 1: Installing Adobe AIR and TweetDeck in Ubuntu (32-bit):

Installing Adobe AIR and TweetDeck in a 32-bit environment is pretty straightforward, since Adobe AIR for Linux is a 32-bit app. Here are the steps I took to install Adobe AIR and TweetDeck on my 32-bit installation of Ubuntu 8.10 on my ThinkPad R52 laptop:

Step 1: Download Adobe AIR from Adobe's website and save it to your Ubuntu Desktop

Head over to http://get.adobe.com/air/ to download AdobeAIRInstaller.bin file. If you encounter problems downloading, you can use this direct link:
http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/lin/download/latest/AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Step 2: Run your terminal software (e..g, Applications>Accesories>Terminal)

Step 3: Change Directory to Desktop (or the directory/folder where you save the Adobe AIR installer file) by typing:

cd ~/Desktop

Step 4: Give the Adobe AIR installer file execution rights by typing:

chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Step 5: Run the Adobe AIR installer by typing:

sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Step 6: When the Adobe AIR installer runs:

click "I Agree" and then click "Finish" when the installation is completed.

Step 7: Download Tweetdeck and save it to your Ubuntu Desktop:

Navigate to http://www.tweetdeck.com/ and click on the "Download Now" button. In case your Flash plugin is acting up, you can also manually download the installer file using the following direct link: http://www.tweetdeck.com/beta/TweetDeck_0_25.air (NB: you can replace the version number 0_25 with the current version).

Step 8: Install Tweetdeck

Right click the Tweetdeck (.air) file and select the Adobe AIR Application installer to run it.

Step 9: Enjoy Tweetdeck!


Part 2: Installing Adobe AIR & TweetDeck in Ubuntu (64-bit)

Installing Adobe AIR & TweetDeck on my 64-bit installation of Ubuntu 9.04 on my Dell desktop was an incredibly complicated affair, since I have to install the the getlibs package to resolve the 32 bit library dependency problems (see detailed discussions in the Ubuntu forums). After much googling, I got Adobe AIR and TweetDeck installed and running successfully by following Tony Maro's detailed instructions to install the getlibs package and Adobe AIR. Once Adobe AIR is successfully installed on my 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 system, then it becomes a relatively simple affair to download and install TweetDeck following steps 7 & 8 in Part 1 (32-bit installation) above.

No comments:

Post a Comment