Monday, May 11, 2009

My Favorite Add-Ons For Firefox

One thing I love about Firefox is the thousands and thousands of add-ons that you can install to customize your Firefox. If you haven't yet tried an add-on, now is the time to experiment. Add-ons allow you to customize or personalize your Firefox. Head over to https://addons.mozilla.org/ and you'll find a bewildering range of add-ons ranging from utilitarian or functional addons to wild, crazy addons.

As for me, I'm constantly tinkering around with different add-ons to see how they work. While I have add-ons that come and go, here are my favorite add-ons that have a permanent place in all my Firefox installations (Ubuntu & Windows XP):
  1. NoScript is the very first add-on I always install on every new installation of Firefox. I have an opt-in browsing policy, i.e., Javascript, Flash, Silverlight, etc. are turned off by default. If the script is benign, then I'll turn it on (either temporarily or permanently).

  2. Colorful Tabs is what I use to assign different colors to the tabs. This makes it easy for me to see the different tabs in different colors rather than all the tabs in the same color. Colors can be randomly generated or predefined.

  3. FireFTP is a cross-platform full-featured FTP plugin for Firefox that I use all the time. I can do my FTP within Firefox and thus haven't had the need to fire up Filezilla for a long, long time.

  4. Forecastfox is yet another must have plug-in for me. I install it to display 5 days of weather at a glance in the main menubar of Firefox, allowing me to see what the week's weather would be like.

  5. Foxclocks is what you find running in the status bar of all my Firefox installations. I keep track of times in Europe, Asia & the US at a glance.

  6. Personas offers Firefox users a way to "skin" their Firefox with all kinds of skins and if you don't find something you like, you can make your own. I must confess this is addictive - I have tried all kinds of skins depending on my mood. It was one of the few "fun" add-on that has earned a permanent place in my Firefox installations.

  7. DownloadHelper is the cross-platform Firefox add-on that I use to download, save and convert YouTube clips on the fly.

  8. ScreenGrab is what I use when I want to saveswebpages as images. This add-on will capture what you can see in the window, the entire page, just a selection, or a particular frame. It saves webpages as images - either to a file, or to the clipboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment