Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review of Dropbox + Free 250 MB Bonus Space

Today, after months of procrastinating, I finally setup my Dropbox account. If you don't already know, Dropbox is an online storage account that enables you to store and synchronize files online between computers. Currently, Dropbox works on computers running Windows, Mac OS X and Linux (Fedora and Ubuntu). The first 2 GB is free. Additional storage is available for a fee.

Installation was a snap. I downloaded the Windows client for my IdeaPad S10 netbook running Windows XP. On my ThinkPad R52 running Ubuntu 9.04, I added the Ubuntu repository to my systen (detailed instructions) and use Synaptic Package Manager to install the Dropbox Nautilus client (which is open source under GPL license). You will need an e-mail and password to register.

Dropbox is easy to use. You can drag and drop files between your regular folders and your Dropbox folder, and Dropbox will sync the files instantaneously. You can also access your Dropbox via the web at https://www.getdropbox.com/ and sign in with your e-mail and password that you used to register your Dropbox account.

What I really like about Dropbox is the fact that it allows me to share files seamlessly and effortlessly between my Windows and Ubuntu systems. In this regard, Dropbox has one advantage over UbuntuOne, which currently only allows you to store and sync files between Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and higher systems only.

Currently, Dropbox is running a promotion whereby if you sign up using my referral link, both you and I get 250 MB of bonus space. In other words, if you sign up using my referral link, you will get 2 GB+250 MB space. This is certainly a win-win situation for you and I.

For other reviews of Dropbox, see:
In short, I am very pleased with Dropbox and have no hesitation recommending it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment