Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Installing and Running Woopra Desktop Client in Ubuntu

Thanks to @tchachra of 2s2d.net, I signed up Woopra's closed beta trial over the weekend and my two websites (Techruminations and www.jonathantan.org) was approved late yesterday. If you have no idea what Woopra, stats junkies would tell you it is superior to Google Analytics in its real-time detailed stats about site visitors.

With my two sites approved, I next added the html code from the members' section. There are two ways to monitor the live stats:
  • via the webclient on the members' section: click on "View Stats" in the Analytics column
  • via a desktop client.
Woopra provides a Mac, Windows and Linux webclient.

As I am running a 32-bit (x86) installation Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on my systems, I downloaded the shell script file (currently, woopra_unix_1_3_2.sh) from the download section. Here's what I did:
  • download woopra_unix_1_3_2.sh to my Desktop
  • open a terminal console
  • change directory to Desktop: cd ~/Desktop
  • run the shell script: sh woopra_unix_1_3_2.sh
The shell script first checks for my java version, but I didn't face any problem since my Ubuntu is a 32-bit installation. After the initial check, the installation proceeded smoothly and before long I was running the desktop client and was instantly hooked to the stats!

Woopra is what Google Analytics isn't. It gives you real time stats as visitors browse your sites. Without a doubt, Woopra runs rings around Google Analytics. I look forward to playing around with Woopra in the days ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for installations instructions, it took me 5 sec,
    to install it.

    ReplyDelete