(1) Guides & References:
- Rip, Watch and Organize Everything: The Ultimate Media Guide (Lifehacker)
- The Complete Guide to Ripping and Converting Flash Videos (Lifehacker)
- Ultimate Guide to Playing and Transcoding Downloaded Videos (MaximumPC.com)
- Digital Video Formats and Video Conversion Explained (Confused by technical jargon such as containers, codecs, bitrate, etc., or by the various conversion techniques? Then this article is for you.)
- The Last DVD and Blu-Ray Ripping Guide You'll Ever Need (an excellent guide from MaximumPC.com)
(2) For Windows Users:
- Any Video Coverter Batch Processes Video Files and Converts HD YouTube Clips (Lifehacker)
- Five Best DVD Ripping Tools (Lifehacker)
- Doom9.net: The most comprehensive and definitive DVD-backup and video-editing resources site for Windows-based systems. Here you'll find audio and video editing apps, ripping tools, codecs, encoders, filters, media players, subtitle editors, VOB tools, etc. Most highly recommended.
- 5 Easy-to-Use Freeware Video Converters (NB: My favorite in this list is Super, which, in my opinion, is simply the best converter for Windows platform out there. Can convert just about any format that I throw to it. Most highly recommended.)
- How to download, save and convert flash video to play on your iPod or DVD Player. Excellent guide from MaximumPC.com for Windows users.
(3) For Linux Users
(4) Multiplatform Converters
- DVD43 Decrypts DVDs on the fly to allow for the re-encoding into alternative formats for iPod, etc using Handbrake (see below).
- Handbrake: An open-source GPL licensed multiplatform multithreaded DVD to mp4 converter. This is simply the best application out there to convert dvd movies to iPod videos. Most highly recommended.
(5) Web-Based Converters
- Zamzar.com: Free online file conversion across different platforms without the hassle of extra software.
- Access Hulu from Outside the U.S. Without a Proxy Server (Lifehacker)
- StreamTransport Grabs Hulu Videos for Offline Viewing (Lifehacker)
- KeepHD.com: HD YouTube Video Downloader: Downloads HD + standard definition video clips from YouTube, Vimeo, Google Video, etc., to your computer.
- 14 Websites to Download Videos from YouTube (GeekersMagazine)
- Using KickYouTube to download YouTube videos An extremely simple and elegant way to download YouTube videos without the hassle of extra software.
- Ad-Free version of Real Player for Windows Available only on the BBC website. Very useful if you're tired of the ad-laden version on Real's website. This is ad-free version was specially customized for the BBC.
- Recording/Capturing Real Video and Real Audio streams in Windows Very useful to download Real audio or Real video streams. You need to have the Real Player installed (see above).
(9) Recommended Apps
- Lifehacker's List of Five Best Video Players
- Audacity: The best multiplatform (Windows, Linux, etc) open-source software to create podcasts, etc. for your lectures, presentations, etc. Most highly recommended.
- Making Computer Videos (excellent tutorials and guides).
See my other blog postings in the "Everything You Want To Know" Series.