Thursday, September 2, 2010

Freeware Maintenance & Antimalware Software for Windows

I am often asked by family members and friends to recommend freeware maintenance and antimalware software for Windows. Here's a listing of what I use on my own Windows computers:
  • Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
    Very user friendly and easy to configure, monitors both inbound and outbound traffic, free version is good enough for home use (and certainly much better than the basic firewall that Microsoft bundles with Windows).

  • Antivirus: Avast Free Antivirus
    The free version is roboust enough to detect antivirus and trojan attacks.

  • Maintenance Software:
    Here is a list of what I use in my own Windows systems:
    • CCleaner: No-nonsense scrubbing and cleaning of your system, hard drive & registry.
    • Recuva: what I use to recover deleted files.
    • Eraser Portable: what I use when I want to securely delete files.
    • Defraggler: I prefer this to the built-in Windows defragmentation app.
    • Revo Uninstaller: The free version is able to uninstall most of the residue left behind by the built-in Windows uninstaller.

  • System Information: Speccy - a powerful and advanced system information tool that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about your hardware, OS and software configuration settings.

  • Antimalware Sofware (for use if your system is infected with malware):
    • Malwarebytes - this is what I use to zap malware infection in round #1
    • SuperAntiSpyware - in round #2, I use this to tackle the leftover infections
    • ComboFix - finally, I use this to scan the system to ensure that all infections are removed.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate all of the information that you have shared. Thank you for the hard work!
    - Maintenance Software

    ReplyDelete